Thursday 29 May 2014

Umbrella Prints entry: The scatter pillow


The Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition is happening, people! It's the fifth year running and this year I'm taking a stab at winning the fame and glory!

Each year, Australian textile house Umbrella Prints challenges creative folk to grab one of their trimmings packs and create something original using their luscious fabrics. They then pin everyone's entries onto Pinterest and let the voting public decide on the popular winner. They also have a panel of lovely (I'm sure) and most talented (no doubt) industry judges that will ultimately decide the grand prize winner who will receive not just prestige and honour, but also $500 - and even better - FABRIC!

For my entry, I snagged one of the Umbrella Prints mixed trimmings packs and set out with absolutely no plan in mind. Seriously...I just sat there and stared at all the yummy fabric for AGES before finally cutting into any of it. In the end, I went with teeny, tiny half-square triangles which I tried to mix and match as randomly as possible to create a block that finished about 12" square. What I wound up creating is a random pattern that looks like an abstract representation of Texas (I can't be the only one that sees that, can I?)

Once my block was finished, I had no idea what to do with it...and then I spotted a long-forgotten pillow form tucked under my desk. And thus, my scatter pillow was born and I had my entry for the competition (plus a really comfy pillow, too!)

The competition is based on comments over on the Pinterest competition board, so please, please, pretty please, pop on over there and comment on (and re-pin) my pillow once voting starts on 1 June. I'd be ever so grateful!

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a few pics as I worked on this project a few weeks ago. In case you didn't see them, here you go! I really love that one with all the HSTs piled up and neatly pressed.


1 comment:

  1. This is lovely! I adore using up scraps, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...